CULC/CBUC has undergone a couple of strategic planning exercises since establishment to help define what they wanted to channel resources towards that would be relevant and contribute to improved library management and service in Canada’s large urban libraries.
The CULC/CBUC Strategic Goals are designed to advance the CULC/CBUC agenda within the CANADIAN urban context. The purpose of CULC/CBUC is to collaborate, share, and to emulate best practice in the delivery of urban library service in Canada.
The Plan is broken into five areas of concentration. The first two are enablers and contributors to how CULC/CBUC libraries can better serve their communities and the public in general. CULC/CBUC libraries serve more than 60%+ of Canada’s population and represent almost 80% of all public library transactions in this country. Being leaders is imperative.
- CULC/CBUC will work to be a central clearinghouse to allow members easy and productive sharing of resources that are not available anywhere else. This is designed to ensure that best practices is being modeled and not duplicated. Le CBUC/CULC s’efforcera d’être un carrefour d’information permettant à ses membres de partager facilement et de manière productive des ressources indisponibles ailleurs. Ainsi, les pratiques exemplaires peuvent être modelées et non pas reproduites.
- Canada lacks applied public library research that is based on Canadian examples and experiences. CULC/CBUC intends to contribute in this area in partnership with other groups, internal and external to the library community. CULC/CBUC values Key Performance Indicators both as management tools for local decision-making as well as metrics for comparison at the regional, national and international level.
ADVOCACY AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- CULC/CBUC will be recognized as a leader through innovative partnerships on program, service, and leadership in the promotion of urban public library service. CULC/CBUC is prepared to work with traditional and non-traditonal partners to advance the provision of library service within their communities. Le CBUC/CULC sera reconnu comme chef de file grâce à des partenariats novateurs dans les programmes et services ainsi qu’en matière de leadership.
- CULC/CBUC will be recognized as a leader through innovative partnerships on program, service and leadership in the promotion of urban public library service. CULC/CBUC is prepared to work with traditional and non-traditonal partners to advance the provision of library service within their communities. Le CBUC/CULC sera reconnu comme chef de file grâce à des partenariats novateurs dans les programmes et services ainsi qu’en matière de leadership.
- CULC/CBUC will be opportunity driven in order to achieve the stated objectives/goals. CULC/CBUC will seek Big Ideas and remain receptive to partnership opportunities that will advance the Canadian urban library experience and knowledge base. La ligne de conduite du CBUC/CULC sera axée sur les possibilités afin qu’il puisse atteindre les
buts et objectifs décrits. Le CBUC/CULC recherchera les idées maîtresses qui permettront de
faire progresser l’expérience et la base de connaissance des bibliothèques urbaines